Subject: Re: Changing the way xpkgwedge works
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/11/1998 20:32:14
On Sun, 12 Jul 1998, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: > - bsd.pkg.mk would honor a new mk.conf flag, USE_LOCALBASE_FOR_X11, which
: >   when set would keep ${PREFIX} equal to ${LOCALBASE} even when building
: >   X11 pkgs.

: Wasn't the whole goal of xpkgwedge to leave PREFIX at LOCALBASE anyways?

Yes, but there has to be some kind of transitional mechanism.  We currently
still consider the default X11 build/install location to be /usr/X11R6.

When all pkgs are "fixed," and if we require some sort of XAPPLRESDIR setup
and xpkgwedge to be installed for 1.3.x users, this conditional variable can
of course be yanked.  USE_LOCALBASE_FOR_X11 is intended to be transitional.

: I guess I said it before: xpkgwedge and the changes you propose do quite
: some changes to the wohle pkgsrc tree, and until all is ironed out, I'd
: rather not see any lossage in pkgsrc that's due to this.

Right now, if you use xpkgwedge, there's lossage because a third to half of
the stuff won't build or run properly.  There should be no lossage in
implementing what I proposed, as changing improper uses of ${X11BASE} to
${PREFIX} does _nothing_ differently on systems without xpkgwedge.  The
proposed changes allow pkgs to work with xpkgwedge that don't yet work.

(Oh, BTW, I remember now why I enabled xpkgwedge by default:  it doesn't
change anything by itself.  The default value of ${PREFIX} is, of course,
Imake's definition for ProjectRoot - you have to set a mk.conf variable to
change it.  No "surprises" here.)