Subject: Changing the way xpkgwedge works
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/11/1998 19:11:18
While attempting to build xneko and the FreeBSD port of XMosaic, I realized
that there's no easy way to tell the pkg where the actual X11 installation
exists when xpkgwedge is installed.

I'd like to modify xpkgwedge a bit, and yes, this will mean a bit of
portlinting on X11 pkgs to make sure they use ${X11BASE} vs. ${PREFIX} vs.
${LOCALBASE} in the proper places.

- bsd.pkg.mk would honor a new mk.conf flag, USE_LOCALBASE_FOR_X11, which
  when set would keep ${PREFIX} equal to ${LOCALBASE} even when building
  X11 pkgs.

- pkgs would be updated to use ${PREFIX}, ${LOCALBASE}, and ${X11BASE}
  properly, as in:
  ${PREFIX} is for any reference to the pkg's own installation
  ${LOCALBASE} is used only to find third-party pkg'd libraries and includes
  ${X11BASE} is used only to find the standard X11 libraries and includes

- xpkgwedge's Makefile would deliberately set ${LOCALBASE} to ${X11BASE}, so
  it would be guaranteed to install in the proper place.

- portlint would be patched to catch any pkg trying to use ${LOCALBASE} or
  ${X11BASE} as part of anything but a -I or -L statement in both the pkg
  Makefile and the pkg patches

Modifying xpkgwedge isn't a problem, but I'd like some opinions from the
official pkg folks as to modifying bsd.pkg.mk and portlint as described
above.

(Incidentally, regarding portlint: it should check patches to make sure they
follow our guidelines, i.e. one patch per file and unified diff format.
Converting context->unified I can make a script for....)