Subject: Question about "make package"
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Urban Boquist <boquist@cs.chalmers.se>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/07/1998 01:45:50
Does "make package" really need to use the "work/.PLIST" file (to pass
to pkg_create)? Why can't it just use the /var/db/pkg/XXX/+CONTENTS
file? After all, it is supposed to package up an "installed" package,
isn't it?

My problem with the work/.PLIST file is that I usually do a "make
clean" after I have built and installed a package. If I later want to
build a "binary package", and type "make package" there is no work
directory anymore, so the system will automatically extract, build and
try to do a new install. This will of course fail because the package
is already installed. It has to be manually fixed using FORCE_PKG_REGISTER.

Why go through all the trouble of rebuilding everything if the
+CONTENTS file would do?

Or am I missing something?

	-- Urban