Subject: Returning diffs to original authors
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/25/1998 04:12:55
What is the NetBSD policy on making sure diffs get sent back to the original
authors for inclusion in future releases?

I'll admit that while I send most of my diffs back when I create a package,
when I'm just fixing one in-tree, I generally don't send it off..  If there
isn't someone in charge of this allready,  Might I suggest we *put* someone in
charge.  It seems to me that having it centrally controlled in some way allows
us to do two things:

#1: control what goes back to the author.  If I submit a patch in a PR, and
upon review it turns out I really hosed it, or did something boneheaded, but at
the same time I send that to the author, and he doesnt catch it..  Wham.. We
have to back out my screwup on the next release.

#2: We are sure that the authors are getting the patches, and not just kinda
hoping the submitter CC'd the patch to the author.

On a side note.. It would be a good idea to come up with a spiffy logo like the
ones Linux has (Cool it works on linux!) and put them up somewhere authors
could get to them..  That way, if an author chooses, he could provide a link to
our page, or the README.html file for his pkg on ftp.netbsd.org.  It's free
advertizing if nothing else.

What would it say?  ;)  "Spiffy, it works with NetBSD"  (duck&&run)
Actually.. I was thinking something along the lines of: "This program is a
breeze to install on NetBSD"

Oh well..  I'd make a logo.. but.. um.. I'm a gimp with art. (it must be
getting late)

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html