tech-perform archive

Re: Running XENU on vnodes.

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 19:57:45 +0000
Marcin Jessa <lists%yazzy.org@localhost> wrote:

> What other, more precise way can be used to meassure drives performance ?
> I am thinking of simulating a typical web/mysql/email system's read/write
> operations.
> Running dd gives you an idea of performance when creating one single file
> but this is not really what happens on hosting enviroment.
> Would writing of a script that runs in a timed loop with multiple dd
> operations on small files
> give a more accurate picture of how the performance gets affected?
>
> Cheers and thanks
> Marcin.

pkgsrc/benchmarks/ has tools of interest such as iozone and blogbench.

However, since those benchmark filesystems, it's likely that the
difference will continue to show mostly the same ratio because the
slowdown is on block operations, but there might be a slight shadow
because of the underlaying extra fs behind the virtual block device.

--
Matt