Subject: Re: outsmarted - disk transfer rates
To: Tyler Retzlaff <rtr@omicron-persei-8.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-perform
Date: 02/20/2006 13:46:40
On Feb 19, 2006, at 3:16 PM, Tyler Retzlaff wrote:

> So what is outsmarting my test?  Is it that in the ffs case the
> copied data isn't actually being sync()'d?  Or am I being
> defeated by caching somehow?  It's nice that it appears to write as
> fast as I can read it but if I do large amounts of
> sequential copies (i.e. constantly running for days) I want to know
> what kind of bottlenecks are going to develop.

Well, one thing that puts the dd(1) test at a disadvantage is that
the I/O requests are issued in lock-step with the latency of the
returning to userspace so dd(1) can issue another request.  In the
kernel, I/O requests can be queued up and fired off asynchronously,
which allows for lower latency between I/O requests (in the case of a
"single-threaded" disk) or optimized completion of the requests by
the disk (as in the case of a disk with tagged command queueing).

-- thorpej