Subject: Re: addendum to i686 testing
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-perform
Date: 02/03/2006 10:04:06
On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 06:57:11AM -0700, Tim Rightnour wrote:
> I was asked to repeat my test with only libc.so, and the kernel compiled for
> i686..  these are the results of that build.   Also, to answer a previous
> question on the list, the exact options used were:
>
> #COPTS+=-march=i686
> #COPTS+=-O2

[...]

If you don't set BOOTSTRAP_CFLAGS on the build.sh command line, the tools
themselves will be built without processor optimizations and with -O
instead of -O2.  You can't fix this for the tools "make" with settings
in mk.conf, either; and "make" chews up a not-insubstantial amount of
time in the build process.

Thor