Subject: Re: 3D acceleration testings
To: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: tech-perform
Date: 01/13/2006 01:35:11
--Kj7319i9nmIyA2yE

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 11:15:34AM +0100, Joel CARNAT wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm trying to understand if NetBSD (3.0) has video 3D acceleration (on
> some video cards) or not. Here's the summary of a few testings I've done :
>=20
~~~~~~
>=20
> To sum up, it sucks :-(
> If if read NetBSD's XFree86 manpages :
>  - nv =3D 2D accel, no 3D
>  - savage =3D none specified
>  - i810 =3D 3D accel via DRI
>  - radeon =3D 2D accel, 3D accel (at least for RV100=3DRadeon 7000(VE), M=
6)
>=20
> So, I'm not surprise with nv test (thanks nVIDIA for closed-source linux
> drivers...). Not either for i810 as NetBSD don't have DRI.
>=20
> Here's where I'm puzzled :
>  - S3/Savage - are they supposed to be 3D accelerated or not ?
>  - Radeon - it's written the one I tried is 3D accelerated... So what's
> wrong ? does the manpage applies to Linux only ? is xscreensaver/atlantis

AFAIK all open drivers for Linux 3D accel use DRI.

> not a good test to check for 3D accel ? do I have to use meta-pkg/xorg ?

No, it obviously is, as an actually accelerated setup worked decently.
Xorg doesn't help on my i82855GM laptop or nVidia cards. Also my Millennium
G200s don't do 3D under NetBSD.  I've had all of these work well with
either DRI or proprietary drivers under Linux.

> did I miss anything ?
>=20
> To end, the underlying question is : is there any video card at all than =
can
> display xscreensaver visuals (GL or 3D ones) correctly (lets says with mo=
re
> than 30FPS) ?

Yes, most any card as recent as 2-3 years ago should work, but not under
NetBSD.

	Jonathan Kollasch

--Kj7319i9nmIyA2yE

--Kj7319i9nmIyA2yE--