Subject: Re: processor specific optimization and kernel benchmarking
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-perform
Date: 05/10/2005 12:26:26
On Mon, 9 May 2005, Erik E. Fair wrote:
> wondering is how we can measure the difference this makes? What
> benchmarks would show more efficient use of the processor at hand
> by a kernel and userland that were compiled with processor specific
> optimizations?

I suggest various compile things:
  * kernel
  * build.sh release
  * cd /usr/pkgsrc/*/kde3 && make package (on a clean system/chroot,
    probably via pkg_comp, using the before-built sets)
  * same for pkgsrc/misc/openoffice

> I also note that the NetBSD Guide does not mention this issue in
> its tuning section.

That's true, documentation on that would definitely be nice.
Maybe seperate sections
  18.8.3 Optimizing NetBSD base binaries
  18.8.4 Optimizing binaries built via pkgsrc
  18.9.2.3 Optimizing per-CPU

These sections may be placed elsewhere (e.g. the pkgsrc guide), but it
would still be nice to have references to these places.

If someone sends me the data, I can put it into the guide.

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)