Subject: Is there a FAQ somewhere ?
To: None <tech-perform@netbsd.org>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: tech-perform
Date: 03/14/2005 14:48:28
Hi,

I just discovered this ML and wondered if there already were a FAQ
somewhere (except http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-tuning.html) ?
I run NetBSD on various machine (PC and sparc64, as server &
workstation) and notice some weird perf issues sometimes.

For example, my DELL Optiplex is also NFS server (for /usr/src and
/usr/pkgsrc) for my Sun U10 and the Sun often issues "/netbsd: hme0:
status=400<MAXPKTERR>".

Another example is this DELL workstation that can fetch a file (from a
Linux Gentoo server) @2MB/s via FTP but only @300KB/s via SMBFS
(shlight or smbfs).

A last example is, on my HOME server, why is squirrelmail or squid
connection sometimes really so slow even if we're only 2 at home.

I'm looking for general infos of the kind :
-> on mail server, set kern.maxfiles to at least X
-> on server, set TCP window size to X
-> prefer NFS mounting in UDP/TCP when Y

and such...

TIA,
	Jo
--