Subject: Re: Interactive responsiveness under heavy I/O load
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org, tech-perform@netbsd.org,>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-perform
Date: 01/26/2004 19:57:32
On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 07:54:12PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 12:28:57PM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> >
> > Thor, I find -current to be almost unusable for interactive work when
> > there's something I/O-intensive running at the same time.  I have
> > NEW_BUFQ_STRATEGY enabled, as best I can tell.  Here are my vm. sysctl
>
> What kind of disk do you have?  The option for NEW_BUFQ_STRATEGY is
> stupidly implemented -- it's turned on or off down in the disk driver.

Just to be clear -- and apologies to anyone I offended, which wasn't
my intent -- the NEW_BUFQ_STRATEGY code is clean, and works great.  It's
just that, at the moment, selecting it based on the option that isn't
quite right.  Easily enough fixed, and really more a sign that having
multiple default disk sorting algorithms wasn't really intended to last
this long than anything else, AFAICT.

Thor