Subject: NetBSD now scales better than even FreeBSD 5
To: None <tech-perform@netbsd.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-perform
Date: 11/06/2003 00:57:15
[www team - I think that's worth a news item on the front page :]

from
http://bsd.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/05/1536226&mode=thread&tid=122&tid=185&tid=190&threshold=-1:

``An anonymous reader writes "Felix von Leitner recently performed some
benchmarks (previous story) for a talk about scalable network programming
he held at Linux Kongress 2003. The winners in this scalability lineup
were Linux and FreeBSD 5, followed by NetBSD and finally OpenBSD. What's
interesting is that in only two weeks time the NetBSD team made dramatic
improvements. Felix performed his benchmarks again and the results are
nothing short of astonishing. NetBSD now has better scalability than
FreeBSD." Read on for a list of improvements.

the submitter lists these changes:

    * socket: previously O(n), now O(1).
    * bind: greatly improved, but still O(n). Much less steep, though.
    * fork: a modest O(n) for dynamically linked programs, O(1) for
      statically linked.
    * mmap: a bad O(n) before, now O(1) with a small O(n) shadow.
    * touch after mmap: a bad strange graph in 1.6.1, a modest O(n) a week
      ago, now O(1).
    * http request latency: previously O(n), now O(1)

This is a very good job from the NetBSD team! I hope to see more
benchmarks and more improvement for a great OS like NetBSD."  ''

New data is here:
http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability/#newdata

 - Hubert

--
  ___ _ _  _   _        * Harddisk Image Cloning *
 / __| | || | | |           www.feyrer.de/g4u/