Subject: Re: tuning for small memory machines
To: NetBSD Performance Technical Discussion List <tech-perform@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-perform
Date: 11/27/2002 18:15:43
[ On Wednesday, November 27, 2002 at 09:59:53 (+0100), Wojciech Puchar wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: tuning for small memory machines
>
> for sure until memory is at least 32 (maybe 24) MB filemax should be this
> 10% and 5% min or even less. for even 1GB RAM i think defaults are too
> large, 20% filemax is OK. it can be ALWAYS tuned up by user in case it's fileserver
> etc.

I think the best default for filemax depends entirely on what your
machine is running.

What you say might be true for a workstation running an Xserver process
and local clients, but it's probably quite wrong for an NFS server or
web server or mail server, etc.

Thus the question really is more about what what the default expected
application of a so-called "small memory" systems is for NetBSD.  I'd
guess it's more along the lines of being a server -- that's at least
true for all the "small memory" systems I encounter.

As for rather large memory systems, eg. 512MB or more, I'd think that
50% filemax would be the minimum if the machine's just a workstation
(especially if real computing is done on some other proper server)....

Ideally of course all unused memory should always be used for caching
files from secondary storage, but be given up as soon as it's needed for
any process' resident set.

--
								Greg A. Woods