Subject: Re: NetBSD ld.elf_so vs FreeBSD ld-elf.so vs Linux ld-linux.so
To: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-perform
Date: 09/26/2002 20:16:58
On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 09:55:46PM +0900, Bang Jun-Young wrote:

> > If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say you have the causality wrong
> > here.  The fact that static executable startup is slower is likely a
> > kernel issue that will also affect (possibly even worse) dynamic
> > executables.
>
> Maybe due to lack of memcpy/copyin optimized for recent x86 processors
> in our kernel?

Well, run a profiling kernel and see what's up. I noticed that execing
ELF binaries was quite a bit slower at the time we switched to them,
but I didn't do any detailed measurements. pmc(1) seemed to indicate
less optimal memory behavior (lots of TLB misses), but my memory
isn't clear on that anymore.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                    fvdl@wasabisystems.com