Subject: Re: halving context switch time
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, tech-perform@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-perform
Date: 09/02/2002 11:34:07
>>> I think the only call to cpu_switch is from mi_switch, as such its
>>> current return value (the proc pointer) is never actually used.
>> [...]
> The idea was that you would redefine the return value, but that most
> of the ports wouldn't need to be changed immediately because binary
> compatibility had been maintained.

Ah!  I misunderstood.  Yes, that sounds sensible and clever.  Do we
have any ports that return a pointer differently from an integer (eg, I
think some compilers for the 68k return pointer in a0 and int in d0)?

And of course, you have to make sure all ports have been updated before
using more than the low two bits, but that's not that bad.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign