Subject: Re: UBC performance/tuning "issues"
To: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-perform
Date: 06/19/2002 17:34:50
Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net> writes:
> Really, I have to agree with Wojciech, a hint or howto pointing out all
> the knobs, as well as reasonable values for those, would be rather helpful
> for the gros of the NetBSD users imho. That is not to say that the defaults
> are unusable, just saying that it would make research on how to tune your
> system to your needs easier.

There should be a man page for this. I'll get one done.

In general, though, UBC is pretty easy to tune. If you're spending all
your time paging in executables, raise execmin until you feel your
performance is happy. If you are paging anons in constantly, raise
anonmin until that one is happy. The goal is to get your paging rate
down as far as you can go without sacrificing the benefits of the
larger buffer cache. It depends a lot on your system load and mix. On
a system that does mostly giant builds and has gigs of memory, making
75% of memory or even more into buffer cache is a quite reasonable
idea. On a system with 32M, tuning is necessarily different.

Usually I advise people on small memory machines to just kick up the
exec and anon parameters bit by bit until they feel like they have
interactive performance on par with what they want.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com