Subject: Re: UBC performance/tuning "issues"
To: None <tech-perform@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-perform
Date: 06/19/2002 14:14:18
On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

# That's because, I believe, you have not yet properly tuned your system
# (i.e. your kernel and perhaps also some of the "tunable" resources) for
# your most common application mix.
#
# > it NEVER happened in 1.5.2!
#
# That's because 1.5.2 doesn't have UBC and can't be mis-tuned.  It always
# behaves "badly" for everything and every type of use.  ;-)
# I have noticed that the latest release of Mozilla (i.e. 1.0) comes to
# life far more slowly after long periods of inactivity, even under the
# very same kernel and on the same unchanged hardware, than earlier
# versions did.  Are you sure this isn't all you're seeing -- i.e. some
# change in the patterns of memory use in the applications you're using?
#

Greg, your comment raises a red flag to me.

There are a good number of people out there who are not going to rebuild
a kernel.  They will probably run with GENERIC kernels.

If the GENERIC kernel begins to present too many performance problems,
this is going to turn off some of the user base.

Yes, yes -- "if the user wants Linux (or Solaris), they know where to find
it."  While true, this completely avoids the issue at hand.

On the other hand, if GENERIC is reasonably well-balanced, we have no
reason to worry.

(struct { worth:2; };) mine;

				--*greywolf;
--