Subject: Re: Is the netBSD kernel Preemptible ?
To: None <tech-perform@netbsd.org>
From: Gary Thorpe <gat7634@hotmail.com>
List: tech-perform
Date: 06/14/2002 21:54:09
>From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
>To: Gary Thorpe <gat7634@hotmail.com>
>CC: tech-perform@netbsd.org
>Subject: Re: Is the netBSD kernel Preemptible ?
>Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 19:32:19 -0600 (MDT)
>
>Gary Thorpe said:
>
> >In a very hyped "showdown" between Linux and Windows NT on web serving
> >performance, Windows NT gained a great throughput advantage in the SMP
> >configuration because Linux was unable to allow multiple threads to use
>the
> >multiple network adapters in the machine very efficiently (unfortunately
> >have no links/references).
>
>The scenario was a 4 processor box with a quad card. What Microsoft did was
>introduce a registry tuneable that would allow a processor to have complete
>use of a particular ethernet port.
>
>The scenario was 4 100mb connections on the same subnet. Completely bogus.
>
>Threads had nothing to do with it. And it was all static web pages.
>--
>Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com

Of course the results were bogus. "Lies, Damn Lies, and Benchmarks".
However, there WAS some tuning of linux network drivers to make them take
more advantage of SMP as a result of the "showdown". THAT was my main point
(having to sprinkle code through the kernel). The side issue of having SMP
potential affect I/O was secondary. The significance of the pages being
static just means the whole thing was I/O bound. However, an SMP machine can
potentially generate much more I/O ops in a given time than a single cpu
machine (whether or not they complete is another matter).