Subject: Re: Is the netBSD kernel Preemptible ?
To: None <tech-perform@netbsd.org>
From: Gary Thorpe <gat7634@hotmail.com>
List: tech-perform
Date: 06/14/2002 12:51:07
>From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
>To: tech-perform@netbsd.org
>Subject: Re: Is the netBSD kernel Preemptible ?
>Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 20:41:15 -0700
>
>At 04:34 PM 6/13/2002, David Francheski wrote:
>>Can anybody tell me if the netBSD kernel itself is preemptible?
>>By this I mean can a context-switch to a higher priority process
>>occur while in kernel mode?
>
>The kernel is not currently preemptible.
>

>--
>Matt Thomas               Internet:   matt@3am-software.com
>3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt/
>Cupertino, CA             Disclaimer: I avow all knowledge of this message

Hi,

Just a quick question: what does tsleep() do? It says it lets the current
process sleep or something in the man page, but when used in the kernel,
does it allow another process to enter the kernel? For example, say you have
a device driver and a user application does a read() which eventually ends
up calling methods for this device. Say also that the driver has to wait for
an interrupt to occur: if tsleep() is called for this, can another
thread/process then enter the kernel?