Subject: Re: Softdeps
To: Jason R. Fink <jrf@adresearch.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-perform
Date: 05/18/2002 13:59:41
On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 11:04:30PM -0400, Jason R. Fink wrote:
  | Hey gang,
  |
  | I would like to do a *valid* study of softdeps
  | impact on system performance. I have enabled it
  | on all of my hosts and so far am pleased, but
  | I want to find the catch.

Don't forget to take into account the time it takes to umount a
softdep partition; (There's No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

If you check the tech-perform mailing list archives from the last year
or so, you'll details of some benchmarks I was doing to test the
performance improvement of the "new dirpref" code, which I compared
before+after with softdeps as well.

In short, between each run you probably want to umount and remount a
partition, to flush out the buffer cache, etc.

Luke.