Subject: Re: HP SureStore Tape 2000 performance
To: None <tech-perform@netbsd.org>
From: Felix Deichmann <f.dei@gmx.de>
List: tech-perform
Date: 01/20/2002 11:38:05
Hi,

> The problem could be any of:
>
> a) not streaming data to the tape
Hm. I have tried "tar cvf /dev/rst0 <files>" for my benchmarks. (I have no
experience in that. Are there any better commands/options?)

> b) bad tape(s) [ can you try a new tape? ]
The tapes are quite new.

> c) hardware problem with the tape drive
I can't make a diagnosis :)

> After a backup that runs at 40KB/s I'm not surprised, but otherwise
> no, unless the environment you are using the drive in is dusty.
>
> Was the tape drive working on any other machine before you tried to
> use it on this system?
Yes. I bought it from someone who used it quite successfully (as he said).

Another question: siop-driver (Kernel 1.5.2) doesn't work together with the
tape drive (timeouts). Why?

Regards

Felix

http://www.gmx.net