Subject: Re: more Q&D results [hash for use in the kernel]
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
List: tech-perform
Date: 11/29/2001 13:00:33
How good are these hash functions on non-random binary data?
Hashing random data is (should be) trivial.

Say hash a 64 byte buffer containing 1 32bit integer that is incremented
each time (the rest of the data being unchanged random - or zero - bytes).

This is probably nearer to what (NFS certainly) is trying to hash.

    David