Subject: Re: New hash algorithm - FNV - for use in the kernel
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-perform
Date: 11/28/2001 11:29:37

>This is a terrific point, however, I don't think we want to gain a
>reputation of "NetBSD is great if you want to run old hw, but it's
>at the expense of serious performance optimizations on newer hw
>so you're better off to run <insert other OS here>"...

Agreed.

Pragmatically, though, we might be better off assuming a ... certain
class of potential NetBSd users have *already* gotten that reputation;
and that we put the effort into showing NetBSD has serious performance
optimization for both slow  *and* fast hardware.  [*]

Slow != old. NetBSD is a popular choice for new, slower (i.e. cheap)
hardware, too.