Subject: Re: New hash algorithm - FNV - for use in the kernel
To: None <tech-perform@netbsd.org, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-perform
Date: 11/28/2001 01:27:21
> 	16296:     27
> 	11178:     31
> 	24223:     31
> 	39751:     32
> 	21170:     77
> 	18108:     80

Wow.  That's fascinating.

Would you be willing to send me your testbed and the filename data set?

>> I'd be interested to see similar results for, say, a data set
>> consisting of several thousand unique filehandles sniffed from NFS
>> traffic, [...]
> I was lazy.  If you want to shoot several thousand filehandles to me,
> feel free :-)

I have two diskless machines doing "make build" as I type.  I'll see if
I can't diddle some existing code to extract filehandles as they fly
by, extract a few tens of megabytes worth, and sort|uniq them....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign