Subject: Re: New hash algorithm - FNV - for use in the kernel
To: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-perform
Date: 11/27/2001 20:27:16
In message <010601c177a4$3f741a80$0100a8c0@snowdrop>,
"David Laight" writes:

>> And what would that be?  Solaris?  NetBSD?  Tru64?
>
>This is NFS, all the implementations are clones of each other,
>I'd guess that there is little difference between the implementations.

Huh? Rick Macklem's implementation (the basis of the 4.3BSD-Reno NFS)
is not exactly a clone of Sun's. Nor is Linux. Implemented from the
specs, yes; and from talking to other implementations, yes; but
*not* the same codebase.  For quite obvious reasons.

(In fact, there are two linux implementations; a userspace version
based on David Shand's unfsd, and a kernel version).  Not only do they
put file-handle info in different places, they send packets
on-the-wire in different order.

I dont know where you got your information from, but perhaps you
should consider finding a better source.