Subject: results of new ffs_dirpref() in netbsd-1-5 branch
To: None <tech-perform@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: tech-perform
Date: 11/01/2001 01:01:36
I've been asked on numerous occasions to request a pullup of the
`new' ffs_dirpref() code that went into -current recently. As part
of preparing the pullup request, I ran some tests to measure the
stability of the code on a netbsd-1-5 machine, as well as the
performance.

Here's my results (in minutes:seconds)

operation		1.5.3	1.5.3 +new dirpref	-current
---------		-----	------------------	--------
tar zxf pkgsrc.tar.gz	9:24	4:05			3:58
rm -rf pkgsrc		6:11	3:32			3:03

This was on a standard ffs file system; softdeps were NOT in use.

So, as you can see, the new ffs_dirpref() code has significant
benefits even on the 1.5 branch.

I'll be sending a pullup request to releng-1-5 RSN.

Luke.

--
Luke Mewburn  <lukem@wasabisystems.com>  http://www.wasabisystems.com
Luke Mewburn     <lukem@netbsd.org>      http://www.netbsd.org