Subject: re: results from playing around with the new dirpref code
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-perform
Date: 09/03/2001 23:51:34
   On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 11:39:25PM +1000, matthew green wrote:
   > too much work?  it seems to be too little.  at least at unmount time,
   > from the softdep umounts listed:

   I mean "too many I/O operations"..

from my observations, this isn't the case.  when i've had softdep & rm
take *forever* on me (ie, the 'df' output takes minutes to actually stop),
i've run 'vmstat 1' and often the disks are completely idle for 10's of
seconds at time.

chuq has given me a test to run next time i'm seeing this, to drop to
ddb after the rm(1) completes and see how many pending softdeps there
are.  i think he may believe that there are far far too many.  that i've
had my kmem_map explode during one of these episodes tends to lead
credence to this idea...

.mrg.