Subject: Re: Fast memcpy(3) making use of MMX instructions
To: Andreas Persson <pap.is@home.se>
From: Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>
List: tech-perform
Date: 08/18/2001 22:29:04
On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 11:59:46AM +0200, Andreas Persson wrote:
> The gas prefetch instruction is the AMD one (encoded as 0f 0d 46/86). The
> intel prefetch instructions (prefetcht0, prefetcht1, prefetcht2 and
> prefetchnta, encoded as 0f 18 /[0123]) all work fine.

Which version of gas did you try with? I have installed cvs version
of binutils as of a few days ago. gas doesn't recognize prefetch[012]
while it does just fine with prefetch and prefetchnta. I have
experienced the same error with binutils-2.11.2. Strangely, even
Linux is using prefetch for all kinds of P6 family and compatibles.
How would it work if prefetch instruction was only available for
Athlon?

I should read Intel and AMD manuals again. BTW, is there anybody
who will send me results obtained from MMX-capable Intel processors?
I sold my Pentium III some months ago (to buy an Athlon ;), so I have
only Pentium and 6x86 now.

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>