Subject: Re: File system performance on i386
To: Bharani Chadalavada <bharani.chadalavada@nexsi.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-perform
Date: 02/24/2001 19:39:31
On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 04:09:55PM -0800, Bharani Chadalavada wrote:
> OK.
>
> Thank you everyone for all your inputs.  I did really get some insight into
> how things work/supposed to work.
>
> I recompiled my sources again with some modifications based on your
> suggestions.
>
> Here are the latest results :-
>
> Linux - 5 minutes.
> NetBSD (softdep, BUFCACHE - 5%) 9 minutes
> NetBSD(softdep, BUFCACHE - 10%) 8 minutes
> NetBSD(async, BUFCACHE) - 10%) 7 min 40 secs
>
> I tries higher values for BUFCACHE and could not get better performance
> than this.
>
> I am attaching the dmesg output. I am using pciide and not wdc. This brings
> to my original question. Can something be done to make the performance
> equal to/better than Linux??

Software compile isn't a that good benchmark. There can be differences in
compiler, make, system includes or something else that could affect
build time. It's not clear at all that the time difference comes from
filesystem operations.
I hope that at last this is on identical machines (including disk and disk
controller:)

You should try to compile your software using linux binaries and includes
under a NetBSD (for example, copies a linux install in /emul/linux,
'chroot /emul/linux /bin/csh' and build your software).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>