Re: Dealing with M_HASFCS for protocols that do not do ethernet crc

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:
>Am Sun, Aug 07, 2022 at 02:15:34PM +0200 schrieb Martin Husemann:
>> So I wonder if we should redefine the meaning of M_HASFCS from "FCS included
>> at the end of frame" to "Frame may have FCS included at the end if protocol
>> uses a FCS", and then have if_ethersubr.c deal with it generically.
>
>I'd frame it different as: "Hardware has not stripped any FCS". But
>yeah, it seems completely wrong for drivers to have to care about
>outdated network protocols.

I agree that drivers shouldn't need to care about particular network
protocols.

I, and I'm guessing martin@, do use AppleTalk over Ethernet without any
problems. I haven't tried using it to a device with a dwc_gmac
controller though, what is the failure mode without the recent change?