Re: dhcpcd behaviour

Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
>Robert Swindells <rjs%fdy2.co.uk@localhost> writes:
>> I just use dhcpcd(8) to handle IPv6 and use static IPv4 addressing on
>> my local network with a hand-written /etc/resolv.conf.
>>
>> If I add the upstream network interface to a bridge(4) then the
>> /etc/resolv.conf file is overwritten with an empty one, this obviously
>> breaks DNS lookup on that machine.
>>
>> Any opinions on whether the current behaviour is sensible and the best
>> place to fix it if it isn't?
>
>Are you telling dhcpcd via its config to not take resolv.conf from DHCP,
>via something like
>
>  static domain_name=example.com
>  static domain_name_servers=127.0.0.1
>
>?  That seems to be how you tell it not to write resolv.conf from what
>comes over DHCP.   If you did that and it's still writing an empty one,
>that sounds like a bug.

I'm telling it via the command line supplied from /etc/rc.conf
with dhcpcd_flags="-6 --nodhcp6 wm0", where wm0 is the LAN interface.

In a previous discussion, roy@ agreed to check how /etc/resolv.conf
had been created by looking for a "# Generated by resolvconf" line
and only modifying it from resolvconf if that signature was present.

This seems to work most of the time.

>Also, I really don't understand what you are doing.  Are you talking
>about running dhcpcd on client machines on the local LAN, or on the
>machine that serves the LAN and has an ISP interface too, or semothing
>else?

Running it on a client machine on the LAN.