Re: NPF and PF

On 16 Dec 2020, at 19:29, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 07:21:42PM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
How different is kernel level networking stuff between NetBSD and FreeBSD,
and NetBSD and OpenBSD, these days?

Not as different as for USB, but still quite a bit.

A few things I ran accross in wlan land: different memory allocations,
interesting mbuf differences, totally different privilege handling, a
few things that NetBSD should get like taskqueues and timer taskqueues,
differences in interface stats, sometimes recursive locking, different
module support, and probably a lot more minor things that I forgot.

And VIMAGE, and likely locking differences. If not now, then probably in due course as I have hopes of using ck_epoch in pf.

I’m pretty sure that no matter how much work you think it is, it’s more than that.

Best regards,
Kristof