Re: CVS commit: src/sys/net

On Mon 28 Sep 2020 at 17:52:42 +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
> I think I agree, but then I've always believed that it should be
> possible to config addrs on bridge interfaces,

Linux has something like that, but the way they do it is in my view
totally confusing and undesirable.

When I run some emulator that requires network access via a tap device,
I typically bridge it to the outside ethernet. This way it can
communicate with the local host and the outside world (contrary to the
"traditional" way using BPF).

However as soon as you do this on Linux, the ethernet interface
immediately loses its connectivity. You're supposed to move over the IP
address to the bridge, and use the bridge in all configurations where
you used the ethernet before. And when you have no need for the bridge
anymore, move everything back. (The GUI tools know nothing of this,
of course)

That is of course totally impractical and wrong. Besides, bridges should
not have addresses anyway, they are just virtual wires soldered
together, at most as complicated as switches (which don't have addresses
either).

-Olaf.
--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert -- rhialto at falu dot nl
___  Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on