Re: CVS commit: src/sys/net

Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> writes:

>>> A bridge is a bridge, virtual or otherwise.
>> A bridge doesn't have an IP address, so you are talking about
>> something else?

Some bridges do have IP addresses for managemment, but it is more like
there is a bridge and in the same box there is a host.

> Maybe "network interface" is not the right abstraction for bridges to
> be instances of, then?  (Though, at least in my experience, NetBSD's
> "bridge" interfaces are more like switches than bridges.)

I am not sure how you draw the line between switch and bridge.

I agree that "bridge0" being a "network interface" is not entirely
right.  I see it as close enough that using config ioctls is sensible
and therefore it seems like a software writing optimization, compared to
creating a first-class switch type.

So perhaps bridges should have some flag that says they are bridges, and
most everything else normal should fail on them, except for the special
bridge ioctls.