Re: Question about NetBSD implementation of IPv6 SLAAC and RFC4941

On 05/04/2020 20:56, Robert Elz wrote:
     Date:        Sun, 5 Apr 2020 19:07:59 +0100
     From:        Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost>

   | there's nothing dhcpcd can't do that the kernel can for RA handling,

dhcpcd cannot do anything at all before userland is running.   The kernel can.

eg: how would dhcpcd autoconfig an address & router required to reach the NFS
server on which the binary & libraries needed for dhcpcd are located ?

The default kernel settings ignore router advertisements.
The kernel doesn't actively solicit anything either - there's literally no code to do so. I mean, that is why we had rtsold before yes? As such, you would need to wait for the router to advertise before you get a workable address and who knows how long that will take?

Now if you think it would work otherwise, please provide a working example and by all means I'll retract my request, but otherwise it still stands.

Roy