Re: Subtle NFS incompatibility with SunOS 4.1.1 on 68K

On Mar 22, 2020, at 12:03 PM, Chris Hanson <cmhanson%eschatologist.net@localhost> wrote:

>>> On Mar 22, 2020, at 10:54 AM, David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 at 01:48, Chris Hanson <cmhanson%eschatologist.net@localhost> wrote:
>>>
>>> This definitely seems to be something at issue in NetBSD NFS; when I enable NFSv2 serving on my Linux box, I can mount a directory on the Sun-3 and compile/assemble to my heart’s content.
>>>
>>> At some point in the next few days, I'll see if rebuilding the GENERIC kernel with several of the latest patches works.
>>
>> Just a quick though - could you test creating a small filesystem
>> (under 2GB) and export that to see if SunOS 68k is happy with that?
>
> Good idea, I’ll give that a try! I should be able to do that with a loopback/virtual mount, yes?

Here’s what I did, on the RPi running NetBSD (pi3bsd):

# cd /export/sun
# dd if=/dev/zero of=smallfs.iso bs=1048576 count=404
# vnconfig vnd0 smallfs.iso
# newfs -O 2 /dev/rvnd0
# mkdir smallfs
# mount /dev/vnd0 smallfs
# cat >> /etc/exports
/export/sun/smallfs	-maproot=root:wheel	ferrari
^D
# kill -HUP `cat /var/run/mountd.pid`

And on the Sun-3/60 (ferrari):

# mkdir /mnt2
# mount pi3bsd:/export/sun/smallfs /mnt2
# cd /mnt2

Then I copied some stuff there and compiled it with stock cc, which uses stock as. From there, I can compile and assemble to my heart’s content.

So something is definitely going wrong in what the server is reporting under NFSv2 for a >2GB volume.

  — Chris