Re: Subtle NFS incompatibility with SunOS 4.1.1 on 68K

> On Mar 17, 2020, at 2:00 PM, Chris Hanson <cmhanson%eschatologist.net@localhost> wrote:
>
> I'm netbooting SunOS 4.1.1 on a Sun-3/60 with 8MB RAM entirely diskless from a Raspberry Pi 3B+ running NetBSD 8.1 (as well as SunOS 4.1.4 on a Sun-4/110—and I'd been previously netbooting SunOS 4.1.1 on that system).
>
> It turns out though that I can't compile anything on the Sun-3/60, at least when compilation is taking place in a directory served by NetBSD. My symptoms exactly match this 20+ year old Usenet post:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.sgi.admin/W6buqXYcfJc/mU14C-wKb54J

From that post, the failed case (fd 4 is what we care about):

open ("/tmp/as68XXa00533", 0, 0666) = 5
ioctl (5, 0x40125401, 0xdfffdd4) = -1 ENOTTY (Inappropriate ioctl for
device)
fstat (5, 0xdfffe08) = 0
brk (0x894d4) = 0
read (5, "".., 32768) = 84
lseek (5, 0, 1) = 84
lseek (5, 132, 0) = 132
lseek (4, 152, 0) = 152
write (4, "".., 154) = 154
lseek (4, 268, 0) = 268
write (4, "".., 4) = 4
lseek (4, 0, 0) = 0
write (4, "", -32768) = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)   <------ WTF??
write (2, "as: Assembler Error-- ", 22) = as: Assembler Error-- 22
write (2, "write error on file bla.o", 25) = write error on file bla.o25

Does this happen for you, as well?  (Can you run "trace" on the Sun 3?)

Can you get a tcpdump of the failure from the RPI?

> Before I set up an external SCSI disk on my Sun-3/60 (so I can rebuild my kernel with the last NFS Jumbo Patch, hoping it fixes this), have there been any bugs identified in serving NFS from NetBSD that might be responsible for this? Or workarounds for known bugs in ancient operating systems that have been removed that would cause this?
>
>  -- Chris

-- thorpej