Re: dhcpcd for IPv6 + old static IPv4 setup not working well together

Andy Ruhl <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>I have a long running NetBSD/i386 machine that was set with a static
>IPv4 address and ip6mode=host in /etc/rc.conf. I upgraded it to the
>most recent release-8 from nyftp.netbsd.org a few days ago.
>
>Recently I decided to allow it to be autoconfigured for IPv6 via
>router advertisement. So I set ip6mode=autohost, dhcpcd=YES. This
>configures IPv6 but it also adds an APIPA IPv4 address and broke the
>default gateway (none defined in netstat -r even though /etc/mygate
>exists). So I added dhcpcd_flags="-6" to /etc/rc.conf. This removed
>the APIPA address and the default route exists again. By the way, I'm
>rebooting each time I make a change to /etc/rc.conf.
>
>My current problem is /etc/resolv.conf only contains IPv6 DNS servers
>advertised from my router, even though a previous /etc/resolv.conf
>exists with a valid IPv4 DNS server. Actually, I don't know if this is
>a problem, DNS is working with the IPv6 server. But I wonder if this
>is correct behavior?

The only thing that I do differently is to add --nodhcp6 to
dhcpcd_flags in /etc/rc.conf.

I'm not using IPv6 privacy addresses so I have just manually added the
IPv6 address of a local DNS server to /etc/resolv.conf along with an
IPv4 one. My /etc/resolv.conf doesn't get modified by dhcpcd.