Re: Proposal to remove ARCNET support

> On Jan 15, 2020, at 2:18 AM, Frank Wille <frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost> wrote:
>
> Ignatios Souvatzis:
>
> On 15.01.20 10:19:56 you wrote:
>
>>> If it's still in active use and there are people willing to test
>>> potentially destabilizing changes to the code, then I am totally
>>> fine with keeping it.  That's what this conversation is about.
>>
>> I have ARCnet hardware on at least one (now) tertiary machine of
>> mine, too, and can create a test network. Would need to upgrade
>> one of them.
>
> Good news! Thanks.
>
> I already asked on the biggest german Amiga forum if anybody still owns that
> hardware. Found one - but probably only a single board.
>
> It would be sad to remove working drivers, just because they are "obsolete".
> In the end we are NetBSD, and not FreeBSD or OpenBSD, which is something I
> was proud of in the past. :)

Well, the real issue is that if no one can test them, we don't exactly know that they're working.  This is especially true when changes that aren't purely mechanical are involved.

In any case, I won't remove ARCNET support since there appears to be active interest in it and people willing to test changes.

-- thorpej