Re: ftp by Sunil Nimmagadda

Jason Thorpe <thorpej%me.com@localhost> writes:

>> On May 17, 2019, at 9:36 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> Agreed.  Another point is that if some other software is useful, a good
>> first step is to add it to pkgsrc.   Then, if we ever get to the point
>> of seeing lots of mailinglist postings that say "Don't use foo in base;
>> install bar from pkgsrc instead", that's a clue.   This is pretty rare.
>
> But so far, no one has said what this other ftp client has beyond what
> the lukemftp we already have in the base system can do.

I didn't mean to comment on the specifics.  My point was merely that
putting things in pkgsrc has a low bar (where "duplicative and not quite
as good" isn't a real problem), and wip even lower.  And, implicitly,
that I personally see something being packaged as a prerequisite to
discussion about adding it to base.  Perhaps even packaged with a
multi-year history of a stable upstream, which I see from downthread
seems not where this is heading.