Re: bnx(4) lockups?

On 2019/03/22 2:14, Stephen Borrill wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019, Masanobu SAITOH wrote:
Hi, Stephen.

On 2019/03/19 22:27, Stephen Borrill wrote:
I have a reliable installation on one Lenovo server which has wm(4) NICs. It has connections to the LAN and directly to the open Internet. I tried to migrate it to a different server which has bnx(4) NICs. If not connected to the Internet, it runs reliably. If connected to the Internet and traffic is flowing, it will lock solid after a while. I have encountered this previously and tracked it down to IPFilter. My workaround on that occasion was to use "pass in all/pass out all" rules (I could not disable IPFilter as I needed NAT) as anything more complex caused the lock. However, on this occasion I switched to NPF and the lockups continue. This is on netbsd-7.

The hardware has been running XenServer solidly under heavy load for a number of years. Doing internal data copies (to stress the HDDs and RAID controller) is also reliable.

I really can't think of much else besides the network hardware (and I don't have any spare NICs to hand). Is bnx(4) known bad?
[snip]

Could you try the following patch? This is taken from OpenBSD rev. 1.93.
Just guess. Not tested yet.

Unfortunately, it still locked up with this patch.

:-(

 I will try to reproduce the hard hang next week.

 Our bnx(4) driver is based on OpenBSD and have not pulled changes
from it for many years. And also we can see the difference from FreeBSD's
bce(4) by doing "s/bce/bnx/". I'm going to take some changes from other
BSD's and it might fix the problem.

 From my experience in bge(4), I suspect the bnx(4)'s hard hang might
come from access conflict between the driver(CPU) and the embedded
controller.

                SAITOH Masanobu (msaitoh%execsw.org@localhost
                                 msaitoh%netbsd.org@localhost)