Re: Using NetBSD as a travel router

darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost ("D'Arcy Cain") writes:

>I was hoping for a list of actual cards that work well with NetBSD.  Our
>site lists chipsets but I assume that some cards use them better than
>others.  I also was hoping for PCI cards if possible.

There are PCI cards that have different wifi chipsets but are sold as the
same brand and model.

>> didn't support hotspot mode, at least not with our drivers. If this changed,
>> please tell me.

>Doesn't wpa_supplicant work with them?  Why would the card determine
>whether hotspot works?  Network is network, right?

This works below the network level and is partially implemented in
driver, net80211 layer and firmware. Hostap mode usually means that
it has to be supporteed by the firmware or that you need a very low-level
control over the hardware.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost