Re: Generating IPv6 EUI64 based addresses

On Sunday 08 May 2016 18:37:31 Robert Elz wrote:
> I still don't know what that /128 address is though - and that's the one
> that seems to be used (longest prefix probably) for connections initiated
> from the system - and that one does not seem to be affected by the
> --slaac hwaddr option.    How do I make it simply go away? (I don't have
> /128 addresses on any of my other systems, most of which don't run any
> form of dhcp client, but have fully statically configured addresses.)
>
> By "go away" - I mean not get created in the first place, I understand how
> to "ifconfig inet6 ... -alias" to delete it (but don't know if dhcpcd would
> eventually just put it back again.)

/128 addresses are not associated with any prefix.
As such it's extremely likely it was given to you by a DHCPv6 server.
Now, dhcpcd will handle DHCPv6, but will only start it if configured to do so
(not by default) OR if instructed to by a Router Advertisement (which is
probably what happened here).

So basically your IPv6 router is saying there is a DHCPv6 network address to
negotiate as well.

You can instruct dhcpcd it ignore this by using the nodhcp6 option.

Roy