Re: Proxy ARP

In article <CAKrYomjukGiXD+COWino3rTDd_u+0o+q04aWxv_qn0GCM-GOgQ%mail.gmail.com@localhost>,
Ryota Ozaki  <ozaki-r%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have questions about the Proxy ARP feature.
>
>arp(8) has two options: "pub" and "pub proxy".
>What's the different between them and what
>are expected behaviors of them?

Proxy arp (rfc1027) was used decades ago to make hosts whose
networking stacks did not understand subnetworking and routing
work (in my environment those were SVR2 machine AT&T 3b{2,5,10,20}s).
Typically we used to run a daemon on the gateway host that
watched for bogus arp requests (requests for addresses not in the
local broadcast domain/subnet that could not be satisfied) and
reply to them by saying that the gateway host(*) had the address
required and add this address to the arp table as a proxy entry.

I don't remember what was special about proxy arp entries, but my
guess is probably nothing; it was just a special marker to recognize
that these were added manually just for proxying.

The two plausible reasons would be:
	- not to time them out (but that would not make sense
	  because proxyarpd did not have any timeout code, so these
	  would become permanent
	- not to consult them for local routing decisions, but this
	  is not done anyway

You can still get a copy of a proxyarpd implementation from:

	ftp://mirror.ucsd.edu/pub/proxyarpd-1.7.shar

christos

(*) It ended being more complicated than that for hosts with multiple
gateways.  There was a "proxytab" file which said which
interfaces/ip-addresses where responsible for what subnets.