Re: ifconfig not waiting for DAD completion

On 30/12/2015 17:41, Anthony Mallet wrote:
> On Sunday 20 Dec 2015, at 17:17, Roy Marples wrote:
> | Here's a patch which adds the -W flag to ifconfig(8) which will wait
> | for N seconds for the detached flag to clear.  This does not extend
> | the -w flag option duration.
> |
> | The default has been set to -w 10 -W 2.  Please test it, as we may
> | need to increase them - they are currently low to ensure as fast as
> | a boot as possible.
>
> Your patch does the job nicely! Thanks!
> There is a typo in the etc/default/rc.conf comment, see attachment.
>
> With my Intel i82541PI 1000BASE-T Ethernet (rev. 0x05), the
> required -W time is closer to 4-5 secs. I set it to 10 in rc.conf
> without bothering too much finding the smallest number, as this
> machine is supposed to be on the network anyway and has a single
> interface.

This is now committed.
I made two other changes - testing for IFF_UP in the detached case and
changing the defaults to -w 15 -W 5 which should now be large enough (5
seconds carrier,  a futher 10 seconds for flags to clear).

> The time required for DAD however is much shorter, about 1 second.
>
> What about the sysctl net.inet{,6}.ip{,6}.dad_count. Is it still
> useful for anything?

The sysctls are used by the kernel only now.

Roy