Re: Removing ARCNET stuffs

frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost (Frank Wille) writes:

>But how do I configure an ARCnet network? Can I use "inet"? I tried this
>without succuess:

Yes, inet and inet6 should work.

># ifconfig bah0 10.0.0.1 up
>ifconfig: SIOCAIFADDR: Inappropriate ioctl for device

>bah0: flags=8e63<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,ALLMULTI,OACTIVE>bah0:
>flags=8e63<SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 507
>        address: 75

IP over ARCnet has two modes. An old protocol works without ARP, it
requires that the 8bit-MAC address is the same as the last IP octet.
The MAC-address of an A2060 is configured with DIP-switches.

With ARP, there is an arbitary mapping. This new protocol also allows
larger MTUs by splitting the IP datagram into smaller ARCnet packets.
This is a kind of fragmentation below the IP level.

The ioctl message however looks more like the driver is broken.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost