Re: A strange TCP timestamp problem?

Here's what the source says about why we send 1 on SYN:

        /*
         * Initialize our timebase.  When we send timestamps, we take
         * the delta from tcp_now -- this means each connection always
         * gets a timebase of 1, which makes it, among other things,
         * more difficult to determine how long a system has been up,
         * and thus how many TCP sequence increments have occurred.
         *
         * We start with 1, because 0 doesn't work with linux, which
         * considers timestamp 0 in a SYN packet as a bug and disables
         * timestamps.
         */
        tp->ts_timebase = tcp_now - 1;

We could easily modify this to send something based on uptime like
FreeBSD does and have it based on a sysctl. The question is, is rejecting
the packet based on tsval = 1 a reasonable behavior?

christos