Re: Removing ARCNET stuffs

mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost writes:

> But I too find it regrettable and possibly dangerous.

Me, too.  What NetBSD offers, that no other O/S offers, is the support
for platforms that are no longer mainstream.  I've run it on Sparc and
VAX processors for years, and hope to continue playing with these old
machines.  I enjoy reading about others running NetBSD on even more
exotic platforms.  (Incidentally, and I run OmniNet (an ancient 2Mbps
token ring network) between machines in my home lab that are too old to
even run NetBSD.)

If support for network protocols belonging to platforms still supported
by NetBSD itself is going to be ditched, that's a very sad development,
and a step in the direction of saying "forget NetBSD - let's all just
run FreeBSD (or even Linux) on iAPX64 platforms instead".

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"