Re: Importing unbound

On May 6,  9:26am, Roy Marples wrote:
} On 05/05/2015 14:22, David Brownlee wrote:
} > On 5 May 2015 at 00:15, Matt Thomas <matt%3am-software.com@localhost> wrote:
} >>
} >> I think we should include unbound as an alternative for named so it can be used .
} >>
} >> http://www.unbound.net/
} >>
} >> named is just â??too bigâ?? for me to be comfortable with.
}
} I agree with this whole heartedly.
}
} > I tend to install dnsmasq everywhere for 'light weight' dns & dhcp
} > usage, just a pity its a GPL licence.
} >
} > Though I also agree there should be a lightweight dns resolving daemon
} > in base and unbound fits the bill for that perfectly.
}
} dnsmasq is a lot more light weight than unbound for sure, however using
} dnsmasq as a cache can be problematic as it strips stuff it doesn't
} understand (or want) from the upstream replies which you may need when
} debugging.
}
} Also, unless you have dbus installed (and dnsmasq built for it), there
} is a minor race window where you could be re-starting dnsmasq to pickup
} a new confile set by resolvconf(8). named also has this flaw, unbound
} does not as it re-reads everything on SIGHUP.

     Why would a DNS server be reading /etc/resolv.conf at all?
That file is for use by the resolver library and has nothing to do
with the server.  I'm pretty sure named won't be reading it.

}-- End of excerpt from Roy Marples