Re: pppd's defaultroute option

>> It appears to me that pppd's defaultroute option simply doesn't work
>> for IPv6, nor do I see any v6 analog of it.  Is there some reason
>> for this?
> IPv6 over PPP uses either DHCPv6 or IPv6 RAs.

Actually, IPv6 over PPP works just fine without either one, once I
kludge around the lack of a defaultroute6 option.  I infer that this is
another IPv6 religious issue, akin to MAC-based autoconfig, and I
should just shut up and toe the party line.

No.

I likely will not do anything now, because I have it working with route
commands in ipv6-up.  But, if it bothers me in the future, expect me to
fix the damn software rather than running even more (and more complex)
software to make up for some fool's religious insistence that everyone
else should see network configuration the same way The IPv6 Cabal does.

Having to run a DHCP server - or something rtadvdish - just to get a
default route amounts to saying that static configurations are broken.
I most vehemently disagree.  (Almost?) all of my network configurations
have changed significantly less often than such software typically
misbehaves; static config is easily the lowest-maintenance option, and
any dogma that says it is Wrong I will summarily ignore.

And, if there's nothing wrong with static config, where's the issue
with pppd helping out?

> Having pppd do it would be wrong: you might as well do it in an ip-up
> script.

Having pppd do it is no more wrong than having pppd do it for v4 is.

Except for values of "wrong" that amount to "happen to make tradeoffs
in ways that disagree with The Cabal's dogma".

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign